Close X
Thursday, September 19, 2024
ADVT 
National

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2022 05:49 PM
  • Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city

VANCOUVER - A barge that had been the subject of jokes and the star of many photos after becoming stuck on a popular Vancouver beach during a severe storm in November is on its way out.

The City of Vancouver says a process is underway to remove the grounded barge from English Bay by taking it apart in pieces.

It says in a statement that engineers determined the barge can't be refloated and a local firm, Vancouver Pile Driving Ltd., has been contracted for the deconstruction and removal.

The statement says the process is expected to take 12 to 15 weeks and will be complex, involving site security, tides and measures to protect the sensitive marine environment around the barge.

Environmental, archeological and structural assessments are underway, and Fisheries and Oceans Canada has advised the company to avoid affecting fish.

After the storm, Vancouver's parks board installed a sign naming the location Barge Chilling Beach, in a tongue-in-cheek nod to the city's Dude Chilling Park that was originally named as a prank.

The city statement says Vancouver Pile Driving will lead the project with support from government agencies. including Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the Canadian Coast Guard, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, the City of Vancouver and the Vancouver Parks Board.

Ahead of deconstruction work, the area around the barge is being converted into a work site with fencing, detours and signs.

"Ever since it became stranded at Sunset Beach in last November’s wind storm, removing the now-famous English Bay barge via the water was planned," the city says in the statement.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

NACI now recommends boosters for some teens

NACI now recommends boosters for some teens
Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says kids and adolescents are still at low risk of serious illness in general from COVID-19 but because of the high rate of infection due to Omicron more kids are being admitted to hospital.

NACI now recommends boosters for some teens

Coquitlam Mounties investigate fatal stabbing

Coquitlam Mounties investigate fatal stabbing
They say in a release that the female victim was located Thursday around 4:30 p.m. in an underground parkade in the 1100-block of Austin Avenue. Police say she was rushed to hospital for treatment of stab wounds but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Coquitlam Mounties investigate fatal stabbing

Teck says weather, COVID-19 hitting results

Teck says weather, COVID-19 hitting results
Teck said steelmaking coal sales for the fourth quarter came in at 5.1 million tonnes, below the 5.2 million to 5.7 million tonnes in its revised guidance it issued Dec. 5 after the record rainfall in B.C. that knocked out rail and road infrastructure.

Teck says weather, COVID-19 hitting results

DARPAN 10 with Douglas Porter, Chief Economist, BMO Financial Group

DARPAN 10 with Douglas Porter, Chief Economist, BMO Financial Group
I have been an economist, working on Bay Street in Toronto, since the early 1980s. I now lead a team that provides analysis and forecasts on numerous economic and financial indicators, such as interest rates, economic growth, unemployment, housing, exchange rates, and, of course, inflation. 

DARPAN 10 with Douglas Porter, Chief Economist, BMO Financial Group

Postal workers can wear N95s — with a mask on top

Postal workers can wear N95s — with a mask on top
Some postal service employees doing tasks with a greater risk of catching COVID-19 — for example working in a pair to unload a van inside — are being given N95 masks, but a "fit test by a qualified professional" is required before they can be worn.

Postal workers can wear N95s — with a mask on top

Surprise new documents identified in James case

Surprise new documents identified in James case
Crown prosecutor David Butcher told Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes that he learned of two new sets of documents relevant to the case during an interview Wednesday night with Hilary Woodward, executive financial officer at the legislature.    

Surprise new documents identified in James case