Some tragic news out of Winnipeg with a crime unimaginable and unfathomable.
A chain of unrelated shootings in Winnipeg has left one woman dead and many others wounded this week and has resulted in the arrest of a second teenage boy by police. According to police a 15 year old male is charged with first-degree murder and a list of other serious offences that have to do with three of the four attacks, all of which happened on the same day.
The first shooting took place on Canada Day at around 2:27am. A 44 year old male had been shot and then hit by a vehicle at the intersection of Balmoral Street near Cumberland Avenue. Police allege that the 15-year-old and another 14 year old charged on Friday were involved in that shooting. Police believe the two boys knew each other but did not know any of the victims. Investigators still don't know what triggered the shootings.
Police believe the two teens split up and not too long after the first shooting on Canada Day during that time the 14-year-old shot a 17-year-old girl on Isabel Street between Pacific and Bannatyne Avenues. Police said they think that girl was with another man or boy at the time, though they have not been able to identify him.
Early morning at 3:15am the same day, Danielle Cote, 27, and her 18-year-old cousin were walking down Flora Avenue near Salter Street when Cote was shot and killed. Her cousin was wounded and taken to hospital in stable condition. Police allege that the same two teens were also involved in that shooting.
Early the next morning, officers responded to another shooting where two men had been wounded. One of them, who is 40, was taken to hospital in stable condition with a gunshot wound.
Police said investigators believe the two boys were also responsible for that incident. Police decided it was pertinent to take the 14 year old boy into custory first even though police suspected two people were involved in the shootings.
The police didn't explain why they made that decision other than saying that it is an ongoing investigation.
After the first teen was taken into custody, police worked to find the second boy. On Friday afternoon, the 15-year-old was arrested at a residence in the city's Dufferin area. The teen was charged with first-degree murder in connection with Cote's death, as well as with one count each of aggravated assault and discharging a firearm with intent, and two counts each of attempted murder and failing to comply with release conditions.
Neither teenage boy can be named due to being under 18. Police are still investigating, though they don't expect any more arrests directly related to the shootings.