Thursday, July 9, 2020
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says China made 'obvious link' between Meng and two Michaels

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jun, 2020
  • Trudeau says China made 'obvious link' between Meng and two Michaels

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Chinese officials it made clear in the days following their arrests of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor that their imprisonments were linked with Canada's detaining high-tech scion Meng Wanzhou days earlier.

Trudeau was rebutting a spokesman for China's foreign ministry who said earlier Monday that his country does not arbitrarily detain people, and that Trudeau's earlier remarks linking the cases were "irresponsible."

Trudeau doubled down, saying Chinese officials highlighted an "obvious link" between the arrests of the two Canadians and the RCMP's arrest of Meng at the Vancouver airport in response to an extradition request from the United States. Meng was arrested on Dec. 1, 2018 and Kovrig and Spavor were arrested nine days later.

"They made those links from the very beginning, and continue to put political pressure on Canada through that detention," Trudeau said Monday.

"It has been obvious from the beginning that this was a political decision made by the Chinese government, and we deplore it, and have from the very beginning."

Trudeau thanked allies, including the United States, who have criticized China for "using arbitrary detentions as a means to political ends." He said Canada and its allies "around the world" remain united against this Chinese practice.

Earlier Monday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on China to release the Canadians, saying they face "groundless" charges of spying.

Chinese authorities announced the charges against Kovrig and Spavor on Friday, after the two had spent more than 550 days in prison without access to lawyers or family.

Since January, China has prevented Canadian diplomats from visiting Kovrig and Spavor, citing COVID-19 restrictions.

Trudeau rejected suggestions that Canada should intervene to resolve the Meng case in an attempt to free Kovrig and Spavor.

"We continue to stand up both for the independence of our judicial system and Canadian interests and values," the prime minister said. "We work behind the scenes and in public to ensure that everyone understands we will continue to work extremely hard to get these Canadians home."

Pompeo said the U.S. is deeply concerned by China's decision to formally charge Kovrig and Spavor.

"These charges are politically motivated and completely groundless. The United States stands with Canada in calling on Beijing for the immediate release of the two men and rejects the use of these unjustified detentions to coerce Canada," Pompeo said in a statement on Monday.

"Additionally, we echo Canada's call for immediate consular access to its two citizens, in accordance with the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, as China has prohibited such access for almost six months, and the world has no knowledge of the two Canadians' condition."

Meng, the chief financial officer of Huawei Technologies, is living in luxury Vancouver home while her extradition hearing wends its way through a British Columbia court.

The United States wants to prosecute Meng for fraud, alleging she lied to banks in Hong Kong about her company's connections with Iran, which could possibly violate U.S. sanctions.

Last month, the B.C. Supreme Court judge ruled the allegations against Meng could constitute a crime in Canada. That meant Meng's case remains before the court, unresolved.

Last week, Meng's lawyers accused the Americans of misleading the B.C. court and said they are seeking a stay in the proceedings.

MORE National ARTICLES

Online poll finds 43 per cent of Chinese-Canadians faced threats over COVID-19

Online poll finds 43 per cent of Chinese-Canadians faced threats over COVID-19

A new survey of Chinese-Canadians says 43 per cent reported being threatened or intimidated as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Online poll finds 43 per cent of Chinese-Canadians faced threats over COVID-19

Feds lay out guidelines for returning public servants to workplaces

Feds lay out guidelines for returning public servants to workplaces

Canada's roughly 250,000 federal public servants are being primed for an eventual return to their workplaces, though many are expected to continue working remotely for the foreseeable future.

Feds lay out guidelines for returning public servants to workplaces

A look at how provinces plan to emerge from COVID-19 shutdown

A look at how provinces plan to emerge from COVID-19 shutdown

Provinces and territories have been releasing plans for easing restrictions that were put in place to limit the spread of COVID-19.

A look at how provinces plan to emerge from COVID-19 shutdown

Vancouver International Airport is asking travellers to wear a mask throughout the journey

Vancouver International Airport is asking travellers to wear a mask throughout the journey

Program introduced to ensure travellers move through the airport with confidence Today, Vancouver International Airport (YVR) announced the launch of YVR TAKEcare, an operational program and health and safety campaign designed to help people move through the airport safely and with confidence.

Vancouver International Airport is asking travellers to wear a mask throughout the journey

Either you love Canada or you don't: Alberta premier rebukes separatists

Either you love Canada or you don't: Alberta premier rebukes separatists

Premier Jason Kenney is sharply rebuking those who believe the best way for Alberta to get a better deal out of Confederation is to threaten to quit it.

Either you love Canada or you don't: Alberta premier rebukes separatists

Cities ask for help as feds, provinces remain apart on deal for $14 billion

Cities ask for help as feds, provinces remain apart on deal for $14 billion

Municipal leaders lamented the lack of progress between Ottawa and the provinces over $14 billion in federal aid for child care, personal protective equipment and transit funding, saying the uncertainty being created would hinder efforts to safely restart local economies.

Cities ask for help as feds, provinces remain apart on deal for $14 billion

PrevNext