Tuesday, November 24, 2020
ADVT 
National

Surrey man caught driving impaired twice in one night

Darpan News Desk Surrey RCMP, 23 May, 2020
  • Surrey man caught driving impaired twice in one night

A 37-year-old Surrey man may be facing a long road through the court system after driving impaired twice in one night – only hours apart. On May 18, 2020 shortly before midnight, a Surrey RCMP Frontline officer came across a collision involving an SUV and a sedan in the area of 16 Avenue and 168 Street, and stopped to investigate.

The driver of the SUV was subsequently arrested for impaired driving and his vehicle was impounded. The man was released from police custody and was issued an Appearance Notice, a driving prohibition and was transported home by officers. Fortunately, no serious injuries were sustained by any of the parties involved in the collision. Later the same night at approximately 4:15 am, Surrey RCMP received a report of an alleged impaired driver who had crashed into a fence post near 16 Avenue and King George Boulevard.

The responding Frontline officers identified the driver as the same man they had arrested earlier that night for impaired driving, behind the wheel of another vehicle. He was arrested again for impaired driving, and additionally for prohibited driving. Charges have not yet been laid for either of these incidents, but a fulsome report to the BC Public Prosecution Service is forthcoming.

The selfish driving behavior displayed by this individual is unacceptable and posed a serious safety risk to the public, says Sergeant Dave Chu of the Surrey RCMP Traffic Services.  If your activity involves consuming alcohol, please plan ahead to find a safe ride and do not drive. If you witness a driver that you suspect is impaired please contact Surrey RCMP hands-free at 604-599-0502 or, if you wish to make an anonymous report, please contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or www.solvecrime.ca.

MORE National ARTICLES

As COVID-19 response ramps up, more scrutiny required: NDP's Singh

As COVID-19 response ramps up, more scrutiny required: NDP's Singh

As the Liberal government expands the financial supports designed to blunt the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says his party wants more transparency on where those dollars are going.

As COVID-19 response ramps up, more scrutiny required: NDP's Singh

BC Businesses to Reopen | Malls, Restaurants & Hair Salons Open | Are We Ready ?

BC Businesses to Reopen | Malls, Restaurants & Hair Salons Open | Are We Ready ?

BC goes ahead with Phase 2 of re-opening of the economy

BC Businesses to Reopen | Malls, Restaurants & Hair Salons Open | Are We Ready ?

Mother of baby left outside a home in Port Coquitlam, B.C., has been found: RCMP

Mother of baby left outside a home in Port Coquitlam, B.C., has been found: RCMP

Mounties say they believe they've identified the mother of an infant that was apparently abandoned in Port Coquitlam, B.C.

Mother of baby left outside a home in Port Coquitlam, B.C., has been found: RCMP

COVID measures cut world greenhouse gas emissions by nearly a fifth: study

COVID measures cut world greenhouse gas emissions by nearly a fifth: study

A study says measures taken to fight the COVID-19 pandemic have resulted in greenhouse gas emissions going down worldwide by 17 per cent.

COVID measures cut world greenhouse gas emissions by nearly a fifth: study

New auditor general says office narrowing focus on federal COVID-19 programs

New auditor general says office narrowing focus on federal COVID-19 programs

The auditor general's office is narrowing its focus for an audit of key spending the Liberals have rolled out to cushion the economic blow from COVID-19, MPs were told as the government expanded a loan program to address concerns from small businesses left out of the aid.

New auditor general says office narrowing focus on federal COVID-19 programs

Facebook pays $9.5 million to end Competition Bureau's probe into privacy claims

Facebook pays $9.5 million to end Competition Bureau's probe into privacy claims

Facebook will pay $9.5 million in a no-contest agreement with the Competition Bureau, which says the social media company made false or misleading claims about how much control Canadians had over the privacy of their personal information.

Facebook pays $9.5 million to end Competition Bureau's probe into privacy claims