Close X
Sunday, September 22, 2024
ADVT 
National

Sikh couple shot dead in possible case of mistaken identity: Canadian police

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Dec, 2023 02:34 PM
  • Sikh couple shot dead in possible case of mistaken identity: Canadian police

Toronto, Dec 11 (IANS) A Sikh couple from India who were targeted last month in a shooting spree in the Canadian province of Ontario could have possibly died in a case of mistaken identity, police said.

Officers from the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and paramedics responded to reports of a shooting on Mayfield Road near Airport Road, along the Caledon-Brampton border, shortly before midnight on November 21.

Upon arrival, they found Jagtar Singh (57) dead on the scene, and rushed his wife Harbhajan Kaur (55) and their daughter to hospital with life threatening injuries.

While Kaur succumbed to her injuries in hospital, their daughter, yet to be identified by the police, continues to battle for life at a trauma centre in Toronto.

Investigators are probing “all aspects of this homicide, including whether or not the victims of this crime were intended targets or not”, Detective Inspector Brian McDermott, OPP, told Toronto Star newspaper.

“It is still too early to make any firm determinations on that aspect,” he said.

Launching a homicide investigation soon after the incident, OPP said in a release that they believe “multiple suspects” were involved.

Police also said that an individual was last seen entering a black pickup truck and travelling westbound on Mayfield Road, the newspaper reported.

The couple's son and daughter had come to Canada as students a few years ago and sponsored their parents as visitors.

According to information posted by a family friend on a fundraising platform, more than 30 bullets were fired by unidentified gunmen when the family was preparing to go to sleep in their rented house in Caledon.

More than 20 bullets were pumped into the body of Kaur alone, damaging her stomach, uterus, intestine, leg, diaphragm, kidneys and lungs, Paramvir Singh wrote on GoFundMe platform.

Doctors told Paramvir that even if the daughter survives, she will not be able to recover for a very long period of time.

They said she is "deeply traumatised and severely wounded, and has not spoken a word since the incident has happened".

A source close to the family told Toronto Star that they want to make clear that they were not involved in anything that might have led to the shooting incident.

Describing them as "innocent" and ordinary people, the source said the victims do not have any ties to criminal activity.

The source said the family believes the attackers who stormed into the home that night were looking for someone else.

“They mistakenly shot this family thinking it was (that person’s) family."

MORE National ARTICLES

No charges for Prince George cop

No charges for Prince George cop
Prosecutors in British Columbia say they won't be charging an RCMP officer in connection with the death of an Indigenous man in Prince George in 2020. A statement from the prosecution service says that although the province's independent watchdog said there were reasonable grounds to believe the officer may have committed an offence, the evidence available isn't enough for charges.

No charges for Prince George cop

Influx of Avian Flu in BC

Influx of Avian Flu in BC
Farmers in B-C are preparing for an influx of avian flu cases as wild birds begin migrating south. But a spokesperson for the B-C Poultry Association Emergency Operations Centre says he doesn't expect as much devastation as last year.   

Influx of Avian Flu in BC

Road closures due to Whalley collision

Road closures due to Whalley collision
On Thursday at after 1:30pm Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a pedestrian struck by a semi-truck in the southbound lanes of King George boulevard just north of 104 Avenue. The pedestrian has been transported to hospital with serious injuries. There are single lane closures on both on the northbound and southbound side of King George boulevard between 104 Avenue and 105 Avenue. 

Road closures due to Whalley collision

Federal effort to boost child care in three provinces off to 'slow start': report

Federal effort to boost child care in three provinces off to 'slow start': report
The report by Cardus looking at the roll out of the programs in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick found that issues ranging from unspent funding to skilled labour shortages led to missed child care targets. The federal government signed separate, five-year funding agreements with provinces and territories in 2021, committing up to $30 billion in five years toward the establishment of $10-a-day child care.  

Federal effort to boost child care in three provinces off to 'slow start': report

Pharmacare would cost public sector billions more a year, but save economy money: PBO

Pharmacare would cost public sector billions more a year, but save economy money: PBO
The parliamentary budget officer says a single-payer universal drug plan would cost federal and provincial governments an additional$11.2 billion in the first year, and $13.4 billion in five years. The PBO released a report on Thursday that provides an estimate for the cost of a pharmacare program between 2024-25 and 2027-28. It follows up on a previous costing the PBO published in 2017 for a pharmacare plan. 

Pharmacare would cost public sector billions more a year, but save economy money: PBO

Supreme Court of Canada refuses to hear Hells Angels appeal of B.C. forfeiture ruling

Supreme Court of Canada refuses to hear Hells Angels appeal of B.C. forfeiture ruling
The Supreme Court of Canada's refusal to hear a Hells Angels challenge of B.C.'s forfeiture of three clubhouses will "put criminals on notice," the province's pubic safety minister says. The high court ended a years-long court battle on Thursday as it refused to hear an appeal of the seizure of the clubhouses in East Vancouver, Nanaimo, and Kelowna.

Supreme Court of Canada refuses to hear Hells Angels appeal of B.C. forfeiture ruling