Saturday, August 8, 2020
ADVT 
National

Quebec man charged with advocating genocide

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jul, 2020
  • Quebec man charged with advocating genocide

A Quebec man charged last December in connection with alleged online threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Muslims is facing two new charges.

The RCMP said 62-year-old Andre Audet of Boucherville, Que., will appear in court south of Montreal today to face charges of intimidating a justice system participant and advocating genocide.

Cpl. Charles Poirier says the justice system participant Audet is accused of intimidating is the prime minister.

The RCMP says the investigation that began last year found about 100 online posts containing hate, threats or incitement to violence, allegedly made under various pseudonyms, against Muslims and the prime minister.

Audet was originally charged in December with incitement of hatred and wilful promotion of hatred.

Police say a full analysis of the evidence since then led them to add the two new charges, adding it's the first time someone in Quebec has been charged with advocating genocide following an RCMP investigation.

MORE National ARTICLES

Northern schools face unique reopening challenges

Northern schools face unique reopening challenges

Teachers in Ontario's northern school boards are sounding the alarm about back-to-school plans, saying the region's vast geography and sparse population present challenges not considered in southern parts of the province.

Northern schools face unique reopening challenges

No need for tariffs, Trudeau tells Trump

No need for tariffs, Trudeau tells Trump

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau urged Donald Trump to think twice Monday before imposing new tariffs on Canadian aluminum, saying the sector is emerging from the pandemic-induced production stance that prompted the White House to consider such measures in the first place.

No need for tariffs, Trudeau tells Trump

Manhunt continues for missing Quebec father

Manhunt continues for missing Quebec father

Quebec provincial police continued their intensive search Monday for the father of two young girls whose bodies were found Saturday in a small town southwest of Quebec City.

Manhunt continues for missing Quebec father

Trudeau says he's sorry for WE involvement

Trudeau says he's sorry for WE involvement

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has apologized for not recusing himself from the government's decision to have WE Charity manage a $900-million student-aid program, saying his family's longtime involvement with the organization should have kept him out of the discussions.

Trudeau says he's sorry for WE involvement

Ontario awaits Stage 3 of its pandemic plan

Ontario awaits Stage 3 of its pandemic plan

A lot of businesses across Ontario are eagerly awaiting an announcement today from the provincial government.

Ontario awaits Stage 3 of its pandemic plan

RCMP at centre of facial recognition lawsuit

RCMP at centre of facial recognition lawsuit

A Quebec photographer wants a judge to order the RCMP to destroy all of the images of Canadians it obtained through a controversial facial-recognition tool.

RCMP at centre of facial recognition lawsuit

PrevNext