Monday, October 21, 2019
ADVT 
National

Newfoundland Man Pleads Not Guilty In Case Of Skeleton Stolen From Graveyard

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 May, 2019
  • Newfoundland Man Pleads Not Guilty In Case Of Skeleton Stolen From Graveyard

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A young Newfoundland man pleaded not guilty Wednesday in the strange case of skeletal remains taken from an Anglican cemetery.


Lucas Dawe, 20, appeared briefly from prison via video link on charges of interfering with human remains and possession of stolen property — namely, the remains.


The Crown also amended the charges to date from November 2017 to April 2019, suggesting the remains may have been removed more than a year before their discovery last month on a recreational trail. The charges initially alleged the crimes occurred "on or about" April 5, 2019.


The bizarre crime has gripped the community since police launched an investigation into "quite old" partial skeletal remains found on April 6.
The remains were traced back to an Anglican cemetery in Conception Bay South, a town of about 26,000 people just west of St. John's.


The province's chief medical examiner, Dr. Nash Denic, told The Canadian Press in April that the remains were taken from a mausoleum-style tomb and belonged to someone who died in the 1800s.


Denic said at the time it was the first alleged grave robbery he'd seen in the province.


Dawe, a Conception Bay South resident, is also charged with failing to comply with a court order, stemming from earlier charges.


A trial has been set for July 9.

MORE National ARTICLES

Police In Western Quebec Investigate Attacks On Various Public Utilities

Police In Western Quebec Investigate Attacks On Various Public Utilities

GATINEAU, Que. — Police forces in western Quebec are investigating a series of attacks on public utility installations and private business equipment that occurred over a one-month period earlier this spring.

Police In Western Quebec Investigate Attacks On Various Public Utilities

Canada Hires Firm To Ship Back Garbage, Will Be Done Before End Of June: McKenna

Canada Hires Firm To Ship Back Garbage, Will Be Done Before End Of June: McKenna

OTTAWA — Environment Minister Catherine McKenna says the Canadian trash that has been rotting in the Philippines for nearly six years will be back on Canadian soil before the end of June.

Canada Hires Firm To Ship Back Garbage, Will Be Done Before End Of June: McKenna

Scheer Vows Criminal Crackdown On Human Trafficking In Election Pledge

Scheer Vows Criminal Crackdown On Human Trafficking In Election Pledge

OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is promising funding for police, survivor services and public awareness to fight human trafficking.

Scheer Vows Criminal Crackdown On Human Trafficking In Election Pledge

Nevada Court Orders Former Vancouver Man To Pay Back $21.7 Million To Investors

Nevada Court Orders Former Vancouver Man To Pay Back $21.7 Million To Investors

It says it is the first time a court in the United States has recognized an order from the B.C. commission.

Nevada Court Orders Former Vancouver Man To Pay Back $21.7 Million To Investors

Watch Your Step! Ecologist Warns Bird 'Candy' Catalyst For Extreme Goose Poop

Watch Your Step! Ecologist Warns Bird 'Candy' Catalyst For Extreme Goose Poop

People who like to go for a stroll in Regina's Wascana Park are being advised that if they want to avoid stepping in goose poop, they should quit giving unhealthy snacks to the birds.

Watch Your Step! Ecologist Warns Bird 'Candy' Catalyst For Extreme Goose Poop

Survey Finds Minimal Progress In Military's Fight Against Sexual Misconduct

Survey Finds Minimal Progress In Military's Fight Against Sexual Misconduct

The report was the result of a survey of about 36,000 service members conducted by Statistics Canada for the military last fall, the second such survey after an inaugural run in 2016.

Survey Finds Minimal Progress In Military's Fight Against Sexual Misconduct

PrevNext