Close X
Saturday, September 28, 2024
ADVT 
National

New Year, New Chief Of Staff And A Byelection Bid: Jagmeet Singh Eyes 2019

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2018 05:31 AM

    OTTAWA — It will be a big January for NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh as he looks to get a much-needed seat in the House of Commons.

     

    Singh plans to hunker down next month in the B.C. riding of Burnaby-South as he tries to check "elected" off his to-do list for a critical campaign year ahead.


    The byelection, expected for February, marks Singh's biggest political test to date while he also tries to calm party fears about fundraising, slumping polls and a growing list of veteran MPs who say they won't run in 2019.


    Singh has been to the riding a number of times, said Jennifer Howard, his new chief of staff.


    Howard is a longtime party strategist who was elected as a Manitoba provincial politician in 2007.

     


    The party has secured a volunteer team and an office as it sets its sights on a victory for their leader, she said, adding that the New Democrats are not taking anything for granted as they work on a win.


    "He is going to become Jagmeet the candidate," Howard said.


    "We are doing all the things that you do to get ready for a campaign so I am very confident."


    For his part, Singh has declined to say whether he will step down as leader should he lose in the riding, which was vacated by former New Democrat MP Kennedy Stewart, now Vancouver's mayor.


    Howard said she's not letting any other thought enter her mind either.

     


    "He is going to win," she said. "We aren't focused on any other outcome because in order to get that outcome, we have to focus on running that race and doing what we need to do to win it."


    In addition to taking on the byelection battle, Singh also faces the task of looking at the party's roster for the 2019 election campaign.


    Earlier this month, MP Fin Donnelly joined a growing list of NDP incumbents who will not seek re-election. It includes Romeo Saganash, Helene Laverdiere, Tom Mulcair, David Christopherson, Irene Mathyssen and Linda Duncan.


    B.C. MPs Nathan Cullen and Murray Rankin are also mulling their futures during the holiday break.


    Canadians should not draw unnecessary conclusions from the departure of veteran NDP MPs, Howard said.


    "I don't see any basis for that," she said. "I don't think that this is anything different than (what) typically happens at this stage (as) you get closer to an election ... This is about the time in the cycle when people make those decisions."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    More Wildfires Blaze In B.C., But No Communities Seriously Threatened

    More Wildfires Blaze In B.C., But No Communities Seriously Threatened
    British Columbia's Wildfire Service has had its busiest few days of the season after thousands of lightning strikes sparked hundreds of new fires, but officials say they are relieved that no communities were under threat on Thursday.

    More Wildfires Blaze In B.C., But No Communities Seriously Threatened

    Hundreds Of B.C. Wildfires Prompt Request For Help From Out-Of-Province Crews

    Hundreds Of B.C. Wildfires Prompt Request For Help From Out-Of-Province Crews
    For the first time since British Columbia's wildfire season began in April, the Wildfire Service says it is calling for help from outside the province.

    Hundreds Of B.C. Wildfires Prompt Request For Help From Out-Of-Province Crews

    Legislation Re-Establishing Human Rights Commissioner Due In B.C. This Fall

    The British Columbia government says it will introduce amendments to the Human Rights Code when the legislature resumes sitting this fall.

    Legislation Re-Establishing Human Rights Commissioner Due In B.C. This Fall

    N.S. Man Alleges Priest Sexually Abused Him In Proposed Class-Action Suit

    A man has launched a proposed class-action lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth for alleged sexual abuse by priests dating back decades.

    N.S. Man Alleges Priest Sexually Abused Him In Proposed Class-Action Suit

    Toronto Receives $11M From Feds To Deal With Spike In Asylum Seekers

    Toronto Receives $11M From Feds To Deal With Spike In Asylum Seekers
    The federal government has made good on a promise to deliver $11 million to help the City of Toronto defray some of the costs associated with an influx of asylum seekers in recent months.

    Toronto Receives $11M From Feds To Deal With Spike In Asylum Seekers

    Quebecer Says Her Daughter, 9, Was Attacked By Pit Bull-Type Dog In New Brunswick

    The mother of a nine-year-old Quebec girl who was reportedly mauled by a pit bull-type dog says she is furious the animal has since been given back to its owner.

    Quebecer Says Her Daughter, 9, Was Attacked By Pit Bull-Type Dog In New Brunswick