Close X
Thursday, October 3, 2024
ADVT 
National

Meng Wanzhou's defence to continue in B.C. court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Aug, 2021 09:46 AM
  • Meng Wanzhou's defence to continue in B.C. court

Meng Wanzhou's legal team is expected to argue today there is no evidence showing the Huawei executive caused international bank HSBC to violate U.S. sanctions law.

The B.C. Supreme Court is hearing formal arguments in the extradition case for the telecom executive that began last week amid rising diplomatic tensions.

Meng, who is Huawei's chief financial officer and daughter of the company's founder, was arrested at Vancouver's airport in 2018 at the request of the United States in a move that fractured Canada's relationship with China.

She says she is innocent of U.S. fraud charges that are based on allegations she misled HSBC in a 2013 presentation about Huawei's control of another company that did business in Iran.

Lawyers for Canada's attorney general have said the alleged lies would clearly constitute fraud in Canada and Meng should be surrendered to face prosecution in the United States.

The case is scheduled to continue through Friday, although lawyers have said they are on track to wrap up mid-week.

MORE National ARTICLES

Italian-Canadians to get apology for internment

Italian-Canadians to get apology for internment
Trudeau told the House of Commons Wednesday that his government "will right these wrongs" by issuing a formal apology in May.

Italian-Canadians to get apology for internment

B.C. flags at half-mast for 7,000 overdose deaths

B.C. flags at half-mast for 7,000 overdose deaths
Chief coroner Lisa Lapointe and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said moves to decriminalize possession of drugs, increase safe drug supplies and provide recovery programs are important steps, but more must be done

B.C. flags at half-mast for 7,000 overdose deaths

Ontario sees vaccine issues, AstraZeneca remains

Ontario sees vaccine issues, AstraZeneca remains
Some immunization clinics in Ontario were forced to close their doors or cancel appointments due to what Premier Doug Ford said was a thrice-delayed shipment of the Moderna shot.

Ontario sees vaccine issues, AstraZeneca remains

Wedding host, business owners fined in Surrey, B.C., for breaking COVID-19 orders Surrey, B.C.

Wedding host, business owners fined in Surrey, B.C., for breaking COVID-19 orders Surrey, B.C.
RCMP say in a statement that most of the fines were issued over large gatherings, including a $2,300 fine for the host of a wedding where 22 people attended against the provincial health officer's orders.

Wedding host, business owners fined in Surrey, B.C., for breaking COVID-19 orders Surrey, B.C.

O'Toole confirms free vote on abortion bill

O'Toole confirms free vote on abortion bill
The political anti-abortion organization RightNow says it welcomes the news that O'Toole is sticking to his campaign pledge to allow his MPs free votes on matters of conscience.

O'Toole confirms free vote on abortion bill

New residency path for essential workers

New residency path for essential workers
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says his department is creating a new pathway to permanent residency for 90,000 essential workers and international graduates who are currently in Canada.

New residency path for essential workers