Close X
Saturday, September 21, 2024
ADVT 
National

Many more dentists on board to provide care under dental-care program: Holland

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Aug, 2024 03:32 PM
  • Many more dentists on board to provide care under dental-care program: Holland

Health Minister Mark Holland says he has seen a large jump in the number of dentists who have agreed to provide care under the new dental-care program.

The government began accepting claims for dental services for seniors enrolled in the program in May, and has since expanded eligibility to qualifying children under the age of 18 and people with a disability tax credit.

While some 2.3 million patients have been quick to enrol, getting dentists on board to provide the care has been more challenging.

As of last month, roughly 11,500 dentists, hygienists and denturists were registered to provide care under the program, which represented less than 50 per cent of dental professionals in Canada.

Dentists appeared more reticent to enrol than other providers, as dental associations across the country expressed concerns about the design of the program and the administrative burden on dentists.  

Holland says there are now 16,612 dentists participating, which represents roughly 75 per cent of all dentists and dental specialists in Canada.

"The front door has been blowing off over the last month, with uptake of providers signing up to participate," Holland said in an interview Tuesday afternoon.

On Wednesday morning, Holland was set to hold a press conference at a dental office downtown Ottawa to announce the progress.

He says the increase is probably thanks to a change last month that allowed providers to participate on a claim-by-claim basis rather than registering in advance.

The program was born out of a bargain between the Liberals and the NDP to prevent an early election in exchange for progress on key priorities.

The two parties' goal is to make the coverage available to any uninsured people with a household income under $90,000, with full enrolment eligibility expected in 2025.

Holland said there are some parts of the country where provider participation is lagging, including in Alberta and New Brunswick. The challenge is particularly acute in rural areas, which are already underserved, he said.

If the program is to succeed, the government doesn't just need all current dental-care providers to be ready to sign up. 

More professionals will also be needed to serve the nine million or so patients Ottawa expects will be eligible for the program before the end of next year. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen
Commuter traffic is returning to normal in Calgary following a major water main break three weeks ago. Calgary's mayor says the avenue above the repaired water main is set to reopen Friday.

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen

Unprovoked spat on female

Unprovoked spat on female
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for a man who spat unprovoked at another pedestrian before fleeing. Police say the assault happened while the victim, a female pedestrian, was walking on a sidewalk in the early evening hours near Coquitlam Centre when she was spat on.

Unprovoked spat on female

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles
Abbotsford police say officers impounded 42 vehicles in a 48-hour period last week during a campaign targeting speeding drivers in the city. Police say officers were monitoring high-traffic corridors during the enforcement, and each driver caught speeding was issued a ticket and had their vehicle impounded for 7 days.

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles

Food service workers walk off the job at Vancouver airport for 'one-day strike'

Food service workers walk off the job at Vancouver airport for 'one-day strike'
The union representing food service workers at Vancouver International Airport says more than 200 have walked off the job to push for higher wages. A statement from Unite Here Local 40 says the workers are employed by SSP America, which operates more than a dozen food outlets at the airport.

Food service workers walk off the job at Vancouver airport for 'one-day strike'

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.
Police in West Vancouver say two people are dead after a head-on crash along Highway 1 that blocked access to the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal. They say a vehicle travelling east in the westbound lanes near Westport Road caused the collision at about 11:40 p.m. Wednesday night.

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.

2 vehicle crash in Richmond

2 vehicle crash in Richmond
Mounties in Richmond say they're investigating a two-vehicle crash that injured two pedestrians. They say it happened on Sunday when a Ford Edge S-U-V turned into a Toyota Tundra on Number 4 Road, then careened onto the sidewalk where three people were standing. 

2 vehicle crash in Richmond