Close X
Saturday, September 21, 2024
ADVT 
National

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Sep, 2024 05:23 PM
  • Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

Police in Nanaimo, B.C., say they've arrested a man who was armed with a machete during an alleged crime spree that included a series of break-ins, chasing and attacking residents and stealing a car from a driveway.

Nanaimo RCMP say the attacks happened on Monday afternoon, when police began receiving calls about a man using a machete to break into homes.

They say the owner of one home fled, while residents of another chased the suspect away, before he ran to a third property and attacked and injured a man in the driveway.

Police say after chasing the man and his wife, he stole their car and drove off, triggering "a flurry of reports" about the speeding vehicle, which at one point "flew through the air" after clipping the cement median on a highway.

RCMP say the car crashed near downtown Nanaimo and officers arrested the suspect who had fled on foot at Port Place Mall and was allegedly trying to break into other vehicles and fighting people in the parking lot.

Police say the 32-year-old suspect from Nanaimo is being held in custody before a bail hearing.

The man has been charged with two counts each of break-and-enter and robbery, as well as single counts of aggravated assault and vehicle theft.

Police say the investigation is ongoing and more charges may be coming.

MORE National ARTICLES

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police
Police in Vancouver say a three-year investigation has led to the arrests of six people allegedly connected to a "sophisticated" organized crime group. Police say the probe began in November 2021, focusing on a kilogram-level drug-trafficking operation working both domestically and internationally.

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre
Supervised consumption sites are just "drug dens" that a future Conservative government would not fund and seek to close, Pierre Poilievre said Friday. During a visit to a park near such a site in Montreal, Poilievre said he would shutter all locations near schools, playgrounds and "anywhere else that they endanger the public."

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre

B.C. wildfire crews battle blaze in ancient forest park with 1,000-year-old trees

B.C. wildfire crews battle blaze in ancient forest park with 1,000-year-old trees
British Columbia's wildfire service says crews are battling a 10-hectare blaze in a park that protects a portion of what the province calls the "only inland temperate rainforest in the world," with trees 1,000 years old. The Ancient Forest or Chun T'oh Whudujut Park is about 115 kilometres east of Prince George in the traditional territory of the Lheidli T'enneh First Nation.

B.C. wildfire crews battle blaze in ancient forest park with 1,000-year-old trees

Work stoppage averted for Richmond boating production workers, machinists

Work stoppage averted for Richmond boating production workers, machinists
It says it reached a bargaining agreement with Dometic Marine Canada Inc. after a yearlong negotiation process. It says the company responded by issuing a 72-hour lockout notice, but a work stoppage was averted after an arbitrator met with both sides and issued a decision last month.

Work stoppage averted for Richmond boating production workers, machinists

Pair from B.C. found dead in boat washed ashore on Nova Scotia's Sable Island

Pair from B.C. found dead in boat washed ashore on Nova Scotia's Sable Island
An RCMP news release says Parks Canada contacted police around 3:15 p.m. Wednesday after a three-metre-long inflatable boat washed ashore on the island with two deceased people on board. Police say they think the boat is a lifeboat from a larger vessel named Theros.

Pair from B.C. found dead in boat washed ashore on Nova Scotia's Sable Island

Canada to work with Finland, U.S. on 'Ice Pact' to build icebreakers

Canada to work with Finland, U.S. on 'Ice Pact' to build icebreakers
The "ICE Pact," as it's being called, is aimed at bolstering shipbuilding capabilities in the three countries to deter Russian and Chinese ambitions in the Far North.

Canada to work with Finland, U.S. on 'Ice Pact' to build icebreakers