Monday, March 30, 2020
ADVT 
National

Extradition hearing for Huawei executive set for January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jun, 2019
  • Extradition hearing for Huawei executive set for January

An extradition hearing will begin in January for a top executive of the Chinese tech company Huawei wanted by the U.S on fraud charges.

British Columbia's Supreme Court on Thursday accepted a proposal by Meng Wanzhou's defence team to start her hearing Jan. 20, more than a year after she was taken into custody at Vancouver's airport. Defence lawyer David Martin said the schedule could allow the case to wrap up within two years, which he says would be a "record" for such a complicated case.

The daughter of Huawei's founder wasn't in court Thursday.

The United States has charged Meng with lying to banks about Huawei's dealings with Iran in violation of U.S. trade sanctions. Both Meng and Huawei deny any wrongdoing.

Meng is free on bail in Vancouver and living in one of her two multimillion-dollar mansions.

Her arrest at the Vancouver airport set off a diplomatic furor that has had led to the worst relations between Canada and China since the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989.

China detained former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor on Dec. 10 in an apparent attempt to pressure Canada to release Meng. Kovrig and Spavor haven't had access to a lawyer since being arrested.

A Chinese court also sentenced a Canadian to death in a sudden retrial on allegations of drug trafficking, overturning a 15-year prison term handed down earlier. China is also blocking imports of the agricultural product canola as well as other products. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday he's worried the ongoing diplomatic dispute could see China target imports of other Canadian agricultural products as concerns grow about soybean shipments in particular.

Ron Davidson, executive director of Soy Canada, said that China's purchases of Canadian soybeans collapsed at the end of last year following a run of very strong exports.

"It's not a slowdown — it's a virtual halt," Davidson said. "We can see what's happening."

MORE National ARTICLES

Rapid response to B.C.'s overdose crisis saved thousands, report finds

Rapid response to B.C.'s overdose crisis saved thousands, report finds

Researchers looked at a 20-month period from April 2016 to December 2017 when 2,177 people died of an overdose, concluding that the number of deaths in B.C. would have been two and a half times higher.

Rapid response to B.C.'s overdose crisis saved thousands, report finds

Trudeau worried China could target imports of other Canadian products

Trudeau worried China could target imports of other Canadian products

Trudeau says he will see if it's appropriate to have a conversation directly with China's President Xi Jinping about a number of bilateral difficulties later this month at the G20 summit in Japan.

Trudeau worried China could target imports of other Canadian products

Ottawa pledges to spend $15 million to restore Ontario's tree-planting program

Ottawa pledges to spend $15 million to restore Ontario's tree-planting program

Premier Doug Ford's Progressive Conservative government cancelled the 50 million trees program amid various other budget cuts.

Ottawa pledges to spend $15 million to restore Ontario's tree-planting program

Man who killed Calgary Stampeder must serve 18 years before applying for parole

Man who killed Calgary Stampeder must serve 18 years before applying for parole

Nelson Lugela was found guilty earlier this year of second-degree murder in the death of Mylan Hicks.

Man who killed Calgary Stampeder must serve 18 years before applying for parole

Judge gives prison time to Calgary couple in toddler's infection death

Judge gives prison time to Calgary couple in toddler's infection death

A jury found the Calgary couple guilty last fall of criminal negligence causing death and failure to provide the necessaries of life.

Judge gives prison time to Calgary couple in toddler's infection death

Canada's emergency alert system can't measure how many phones get the notices

Canada's emergency alert system can't measure how many phones get the notices

The most recent test of the warning system in early May was determined to be a success.

Canada's emergency alert system can't measure how many phones get the notices