Close X
Friday, April 4, 2025
ADVT 
National

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jan, 2025 11:42 AM
  • Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence

The Dutch Supreme Court has rejected online extortionist Aydin Coban's bid to scrap his Canadian sentence for tormenting B.C. teenager Amada Todd. 

Coban is a Dutch national who was extradited, tried and given a 13-year sentence in B.C., before being sent back to the Netherlands where he was already serving time for separate offences.

The Canadian sentence was then converted to six years by Dutch authorities.

The Netherlands Supreme Court has now upheld the converted sentence, saying in a decision posted online Tuesday that Coban's lawyers wanted the term reduced to zero because the maximum sentence had already been imposed in the similar Dutch case against him.

But the court disagreed, saying that those rules in the Dutch criminal code did not apply to the conversion of a sentence imposed in Canada.

Coban was convicted by B.C. Supreme Court in 2022 of the extortion and harassment of Port Coquitlam teenager Todd, who died by suicide at the age of 15.

She took her own life in October 2012 after being blackmailed and harassed online by Coban for years, starting when Todd was 12. 

The month before Todd died, she uploaded a nine-minute video using a series of flash cards detailing the abuse she experienced and how it had affected her life. It has since been viewed millions of times. 

, a Dutch court sentenced him to almost 11 years in prison for similar online offences following a trial in Amsterdam in 2017, where he was accused of the online abuse of 34 girls and five gay men.

MORE National ARTICLES

Former Calgary councillor accused of lying on travel expenses guilty of fraud

Former Calgary councillor accused of lying on travel expenses guilty of fraud
While serving as Calgary city councillor, Joe Magliocca claimed he was hosting and meeting with politicians across the country -- including a Quebec cabinet minister, Ontario's NDP leader and the mayor of Halifax.  But they testified they had never met him.

Former Calgary councillor accused of lying on travel expenses guilty of fraud

Arya says he's out of Liberal leadership race, as Carney gets more caucus support

Arya says he's out of Liberal leadership race, as Carney gets more caucus support
One of the seven Liberal leadership hopefuls says the party is not allowing him to run, as another high-profile cabinet minister endorsed Mark Carney on Sunday.  Ontario member of Parliament Chandra Arya said the Liberal party informed him he's out of the running to be its next leader. 

Arya says he's out of Liberal leadership race, as Carney gets more caucus support

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later
As she prepared to return to Auschwitz-Birkenau, Miriam Ziegler vividly recalled how it felt to be a little girl orphaned by the Nazis and left alone in a world ruined by war. Eighty years after the liberation of the Nazi concentration camp, the 89-year-old Ziegler said Monday the rising tide of "hatred" around the world makes her fear that history might be ready to repeat itself.

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says
A prominent Republican senator says Canada’s recent investment in border security — announced in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threat — is tardy but welcome. James Risch, chair of the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee, says border security should be a Canadian policy priority and he wants to see Ottawa make sustained investments.

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Early morning shooting in Newton

Early morning shooting in Newton
Police in Surrey say they're investigating an early-morning shooting in Newton that left a home damaged by gunfire.  The Surrey Police Service says they got multiple calls about shots fired just after 3 a-m yesterday in the Newton area near the intersection of 142 Street and 72nd Ave. 

Early morning shooting in Newton

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd
Police in Langley say they had to use pepper spray and a Taser as they dealt with an "unruly" crowd of young people at an illegal street racing event in the city Friday night. 

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd