Close X
Thursday, September 19, 2024
ADVT 
National

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

Darpan News Desk IANS, 18 Dec, 2023 12:32 PM
  • Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

Toronto, Dec 18 (IANS) A 30-year-old Indo-Canadian has been charged in the US state of Florida for driving drunk and crashing his vehicle with his four-month-old daughter inside.

Peeyush Gupta, a resident of Ontario province, was taken into custody last week and remains behind bars in Monroe County’s Key West jail facility.

He faces two felony child neglect charges in addition to a misdemeanor DUI (Driving under the influence) charge, according to Miami-based WPLG news channel.

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office said it received a call on December 12 for a driver who crashed a red vehicle into a concrete wall on the Overseas Highway in the Florida Keys. However, he continued to drive, “speeding up and slowing down" before stopping at a gas station, the police said.

When he drove away from the gas station, the deputies followed the vehicle, "swerving from side to side" and following other vehicles too closely, leading them to pull over the driver.

According to the arrest report, the deputies saw Gupta's wife, who was also drunk, and his wailing child inside the vehicle.

Gupta, who smelled of alcohol, told deputies he was coming from Canada, then Miami, then Key West where he downed a pitcher of Budweiser "within five minutes".

While Gupta was taken into custody after he failed sobriety tests, the wife told the deputies that the baby was crying as she was hungry. The wife added that they were planning on driving from Key West to Miami to get food for the baby.

Deputies wrote in their report that they arrested Gupta on charges of child neglect without great bodily harm based on his impaired driving and not having food for the infant. Authorities said they notified the Florida Department of Children and Families.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence
British Columbia has announced a new three-year action plan that it says aims to end stigma around gender-based violence and ensure access to supports. The plan includes building more housing for women and children leaving violence, expanding cell service to make travel safer, and adding 75 new sexual assault support programs -- 22 of which are specifically for Indigenous women.  

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political
The mayor of Alberta's largest city says she won't attend the annual menorah lighting ceremony to mark the beginning of Hanukkah because she believes it's too political, but her decision led to a backlash from the Jewish community and Conservative politicians. Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek posted a statement on the social media site X, formerly known as Twitter, saying Thursday's ceremony at city hall has been repositioned as an event to support Israel.

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed
The oil and gas industry will have to cut emissions by more than one-third within seven years or buy offset credits under a new federal policy. A cap on emisisons from the fossil fuel sector had been promised by the Liberals since the 2021 election, but the announcement Thursday spelled out exactly how much the government will ask the industry to cut.

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the death toll has risen to five in a salmonella outbreak linked to Malichita and Rudy brand cantaloupes. It says 129 people have been confirmed with salmonella linked to the outbreak, almost double the number at the last update on Dec. 1, when a single death had been recorded.

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November
It was a busy month for Kelowna R-C-M-P officers as they dealt with a slew of speeding drivers in November. The Mounties say they handed out 80 speeding tickets last month.  

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay
8 people are facing trafficking charges after a lengthy investigation in Courtenay. Comox Valley R-C-M-P say two units collaborated to specifically target drug traffickers in Courtenay's downtown.

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay