Close X
Sunday, April 6, 2025
ADVT 
National

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jan, 2025 02:48 PM
  • Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

U.S. President Donald Trump's press secretary says the plan to slap Canada with punishing tariffs on Saturday is still in play.

Karoline Leavitt told reporters at the White House that she spoke with the president Monday night and he indicated Feb. 1 was "still on the books" for the introduction of damaging duties against Canada and Mexico.

Trump initially promised 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs in response to what he called the failure of both countries to curb the illegal flow of people and drugs across the border.

The president has since linked the tariff threat to economic and trade concerns with Canada and has said repeatedly that it should become the 51st state.

Leavitt, who is the youngest person to serve as presidential press secretary, also took questions about Trump's pause on federal grants and loans, as well as the ramp-up by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents to fulfil the president's pledge of mass deportations.

Trump has signed a stack of executive actions since returning to office as his new administration attempts to rapidly push America in a different direction.

MORE National ARTICLES

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says it has deployed a team of investigators after a collision and sinking of a workboat near Squamish, B.C., last month. It says the incident happened on Dec. 18. 

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside
Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds
British Columbia climate activist Zain Haq and his wife Sophia Papp are planning to live together in Pakistan if his threatened deportation proceeds on Saturday, and blame his imminent expulsion on bureaucratic failings by immigration officials. Haq, a Pakistani citizen who co-founded activist group Save Old Growth as an international student, was granted a temporary resident permit last April, pausing deportation to allow his spousal application for permanent residency to be processed.

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles
The federal government is providing a $1-billion loan to Canada Post to help the Crown corporation continue operating amid "significant financial challenges." Canada Post says it was notified it will receive the $1.034 billion in repayable funding through the 2025-26 fiscal year.

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit
Defence Minister Bill Blair says Canada could hit its NATO defence spending target within just a few years if need be but didn't commit to doing so. NATO members have all committed to spend the equivalent of two per cent of its GDP on defence but Canada has consistently failed to reach that target.

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit

'You better pray we get elected': Doug Ford says he will call snap Ontario election

'You better pray we get elected': Doug Ford says he will call snap Ontario election
Ontario Premier Doug Ford plans to call a snap election Wednesday, seeking an even larger majority than his current government holds and using the threat of 25 per cent tariffs from U.S. President Donald Trump as a justification. That election call would send Ontarians to the polls on Feb. 27, more than a year before the June 2026 fixed election date.

'You better pray we get elected': Doug Ford says he will call snap Ontario election