Close X
Thursday, October 3, 2024
ADVT 
National

Company's Offices Searched As Part Of Investigation Into B.C. Mine Disaster

Darpan News Desk, 04 Feb, 2015 11:55 AM
    VANCOUVER — The B.C. Conservation Service has searched two offices of the company that owns the Mount Polley mine as part of an investigation into a tailings pond spill that gushed millions of cubic metres of wastewater into streams and rivers.
     
    Imperial Metals Corp. (TSX:III) is being investigated by several agencies for possible violations of the Fisheries Act and the Environmental Management Act.
     
    Insp. Chris Doyle of the conservation service said the company's office at the mine in B.C.'s central Interior and its headquarters in Vancouver were searched Tuesday after warrants were served.
     
    He said a major investigation is underway, and the evidence being gathered will be presented to provincial and federal prosecutors.
     
    Environment Canada, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the RCMP are also investigating.
     
    "I can't really go into any particulars," Doyle said of his agency's probe. "We don't want to jeopardize the investigation or any subsequent core proceedings."
     
    He said there is no firm timeline on the investigation.
     
    Imperial Metals said in a written statement that officials are co-operating with authorities and that the company understands the warrants are a normal part of the investigation.
     
    An independent report, released last week, blamed poor dam design for the collapse at the open pit gold and copper mine on Aug. 4 last year.
     
    The spill released 24 million cubic metres of wastewater into a series of salmon-bearing waterways, raising concerns about the potential impact on humans and putting the entire mining industry under scrutiny.
     
    The report said that building the mine's tailings site on a sloped glacial lake failed to account for drainage and erosion.
     
    First Nations leaders are also urging the B.C. government to adopt each of the seven recommendations laid out in the review of the Mount Polley mine disaster.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Airmen honoured as Second World War plane pulled from Ontario lake

    Airmen honoured as Second World War plane pulled from Ontario lake
    BRACEBRIDGE, Ont. - Cpl. Nathan Cirillo wasn't the only fallen Canadian honoured Tuesday.

    Airmen honoured as Second World War plane pulled from Ontario lake

    May says she was 'shaken up' by Ottawa shootings when she sent Ghomeshi tweets

    May says she was 'shaken up' by Ottawa shootings when she sent Ghomeshi tweets
    TORONTO — Elizabeth May says she was "shaken up" by the recent Parliament shootings when she sent out a series of tweets defending Jian Ghomeshi.

    May says she was 'shaken up' by Ottawa shootings when she sent Ghomeshi tweets

    Today on the Hill: Returning to caucus one week after the shootings

    Today on the Hill: Returning to caucus one week after the shootings
    OTTAWA - Members of Parliament return today to the very rooms they were locked inside one week ago when a gunman staged an attack on the building that houses Canada's lawmakers.

    Today on the Hill: Returning to caucus one week after the shootings

    Lawyer for Winnipeg woman accused of hiding babies asks for delay of autopsies

    Lawyer for Winnipeg woman accused of hiding babies asks for delay of autopsies
    WINNIPEG — The lawyer for a woman accused of hiding the remains of six infants in a Winnipeg storage locker is asking the court to delay the autopsies.

    Lawyer for Winnipeg woman accused of hiding babies asks for delay of autopsies

    Medical groups call for major stem cell investment from public, private sector

    Medical groups call for major stem cell investment from public, private sector
    OTTAWA - A coalition of Canadian stem cell advocates, researchers and charities is calling for $1.5 billion in private and public funding for stem cell therapy over the next 10 years.

    Medical groups call for major stem cell investment from public, private sector

    Peladeau says ethics czar will decide on fresh conflict-of-interest claim

    Peladeau says ethics czar will decide on fresh conflict-of-interest claim
    QUEBEC — Media magnate and politician Pierre Karl Peladeau says there is no conflict of interest in his adopting the same position as his company on reductions to a Quebec government tax credit.

    Peladeau says ethics czar will decide on fresh conflict-of-interest claim