Saturday, October 24, 2020
ADVT 
National

Canadian troops reported safe after Iraq attack

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Oct, 2020
  • Canadian troops reported safe after Iraq attack

Canadian troops involved in the six-year-old war against ISIL risk being caught in the middle of escalating tensions between the U.S. and Iraq.

The dispute between Washington and Baghdad revolves around the rising threat posed by Iranian-backed militia groups in Iraq, which have stepped up their attacks against U.S. targets in recent weeks.

That includes several rocket attacks against the U.S. embassy in Baghdad and a strike on Wednesday targeting an American military base that is also home to dozens of Canadian soldiers.

U.S. military officials say the rockets did not hit the base located near the city of Irbil in Iraq's Kurdistan region, and the Department of National Defence said all Canadian troops at the base were safe.

Canada has around 170 military members in Iraq, including an undisclosed number of special forces soldiers working out of Irbil and another group participating in a NATO-led training mission in the south.

Canada's ambassador to Iraq joined other allies in expressing concern about attacks against diplomatic missions in Baghdad after a meeting with Iraq's Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi on Wednesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals revive bill to outlaw conversion therapy

Liberals revive bill to outlaw conversion therapy

The government had previously introduced the legislation in March, just before Parliament shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and then their decision to prorogue in August erased the bill from the House of Commons agenda.

Liberals revive bill to outlaw conversion therapy

16 new COVID-19 deaths reported in Quebec

16 new COVID-19 deaths reported in Quebec

Hospitalizations increased by 13 compared with the prior day, for a total of 275, with 46 people in intensive case, a rise of three patients.

16 new COVID-19 deaths reported in Quebec

RCMP officers describe chaotic N.B. shooting scene

RCMP officers describe chaotic N.B. shooting scene

The defence has admitted that Raymond, 50, killed the victims, who were shot in the parking lot of an apartment complex, but says he should be found not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.

RCMP officers describe chaotic N.B. shooting scene

Break and enter at a Surrey residence leads to large drug seizure

Break and enter at a Surrey residence leads to large drug seizure

As the investigation in the break and enter progressed, officers located a large quantity of drugs and cash inside the residence.

Break and enter at a Surrey residence leads to large drug seizure

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges

They say Raymond Howard Gaglardi has been charged with six counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual exploitation in addition to six previous charges laid in July.

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges

B.C. urban mayors release calls to action

B.C. urban mayors release calls to action

Members of the B.C. Urban Mayors' Caucus say municipalities are bearing the brunt of the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and financial challenges are putting the long-term sustainability of some critical services at risk.

B.C. urban mayors release calls to action

PrevNext