Close X
Saturday, September 28, 2024
ADVT 
National

Canadian Pacific Challenging Responsibility In Lac-megantic Disaster In Court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jun, 2015 10:23 AM
    SHERBROOKE, Que. — A judge has begun hearing arguments that could determine the fate of more than $431 million destined for victims and creditors of the 2013 train disaster in Lac-Megantic, Que.
     
    Lawyers for Canadian Pacific Railway — the sole firm accused of responsibility in the rail disaster not to participate in the settlement offer — are in court today arguing the process is illegitimate and unfair.
     
    CP is arguing that since MMA was a rail company and under federal jurisdiction, Federal Court, not Quebec Superior Court, is the proper venue for hearings.
     
    It will also argue by freeing other firms of legal liability, it won't be able to counter-sue them if those companies decided to take CP to court to recoup the settlement sums they gave.
     
    All other companies have contributed into a settlement fund and those firms would be released from legal liability in the U.S. and Canada and permanently removed from the class-action if a Superior Court Justice Gaetan Dumas approves it.
     
    While CP doesn't dispute that families of the victims deserve compensation, the company argues it is not one of the companies responsible for what happened when a runaway train owned by now-defunct Montreal Maine and Atlantic Railway Limited (MMA) derailed and exploded in Lac-Megantic's downtown.
     
    At least two dozen lawyers representing various companies and stakeholders are attending the hearing today in a large courtroom in Sherbrooke, Que.
     
    The $431.5 million offer was accepted unanimously by creditors and victims in Lac-Megantic on June 8.
     
    A lawyer who launched the class-action says the process will go ahead against CP if the company refuses to be part of the settlement fund.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Chilliwack Dad Randy Janzen Suspected Of Alleged Murder-Suicide Knew He Was In The Wrong

    Chilliwack Dad Randy Janzen Suspected Of Alleged Murder-Suicide Knew He Was In The Wrong
    A man identifying as Randy Janzen posted a disturbing note to Facebook last week in which he confessed to shooting his 19-year-old daughter Emily in the head to free her from chronic, crippling migraines. 

    Chilliwack Dad Randy Janzen Suspected Of Alleged Murder-Suicide Knew He Was In The Wrong

    Crews Struggle To Contain Massive Wildfire Southwest Of Prince George

    Crews Struggle To Contain Massive Wildfire Southwest Of Prince George
    PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. — About 80 people have been ordered to leave their homes as crews continue to battle a massive wildfire in northern British Columbia.

    Crews Struggle To Contain Massive Wildfire Southwest Of Prince George

    SUV Smashes Through Edmonton House, No One Seriously Injured

    SUV Smashes Through Edmonton House, No One Seriously Injured
    EDMONTON — No one was seriously injured when a speeding sport-utility vehicle  smashed through a fence and plowed through a house in Edmonton.

    SUV Smashes Through Edmonton House, No One Seriously Injured

    Man Who Pretended To Be A Soldier On Remembrance Day Faces Sentencing

    Man Who Pretended To Be A Soldier On Remembrance Day Faces Sentencing
    OTTAWA — A Quebec resident who pleaded guilty to charges of unlawfully wearing a military uniform and medals is scheduled to be sentenced today in an Ottawa courtroom.

    Man Who Pretended To Be A Soldier On Remembrance Day Faces Sentencing

    Mohamed Fahmy Files $100m Lawsuit Against His Employer Al-Jazeera

    A Canadian journalist on trial for widely denounced terror charges in Egypt has filed a lawsuit against his employer. Mohamed Fahmy says he is suing satellite news broadcaster Al Jazeera for $100 million in damages.

    Mohamed Fahmy Files $100m Lawsuit Against His Employer Al-Jazeera

    Retired U.S. Soldier Criticizes Canada's Release Of Omar Khadr On Bail

    Retired U.S. Soldier Criticizes Canada's Release Of Omar Khadr On Bail
    SALT LAKE CITY — A retired American soldier has criticized a Canadian judge's decision to allow the release a former Guantanamo Bay inmate on bail, saying he's a dangerous terrorist who poses a threat to the West's safety.

    Retired U.S. Soldier Criticizes Canada's Release Of Omar Khadr On Bail