Close X
Thursday, September 26, 2024
ADVT 
National

B.C. expected to request Ottawa's help with worsening wildfires: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jul, 2023 01:14 PM
  • B.C. expected to request Ottawa's help with worsening wildfires: minister

Canada's Emergency Preparedness Minister says he is expecting a "fairly substantive" request for help from British Columbia as wildfires worsen.

Bill Blair tells The Canadian Press the government operations centre has been in discussions with the province for the last several days, and Ottawa is ready to deploy needed resources as the formal request for help is expected Thursday.

"The fire season now is obviously sparking up pretty seriously out there and they have sent us an indication of some additional resources that they will require, he said in an interview Thursday.

"For the last 48 hours we've been working with Canadian Armed Forces, Parks Canada, Natural Resources Canada, and people from the Canadian Coast Guard," said Blair. "There's a lot of different federal departments all mobilizing their response to the requirements of British Columbia."

He said the federal help could include military assistance for airlift evacuations from remote locations, as well as members of the military trained as firefighters who can provide "mop up" to keep blazes from reigniting once they've been put out.

"If there are communities that become isolated and need to be evacuated, then Canadian Armed Forces provides those resources," Blair said.

The Canadian Coast Guard is also mobilizing support for affected coastal communities and Natural Resources Canada staff with forest management expertise are also preparing to help, he said.

Blair adds there are a number of national parks in B.C., so Parks Canada is ready to aid the province with park firefighters and forest management experts.

Blair says B.C. is one of the better equipped provinces to handle fires because it is often among the hardest hit, but any extra help needed is being made available.

Premier David Eby said earlier this week the province was looking for more firefighting support, particularly air equipment, in its battle against wildfires.

He said forecasts suggest B.C. and Canada face the worst fire season in 100 years.

Eby expressed gratitude for the help provided by international firefighters from Mexico and the United States who are on the frontlines with provincial crews.

There are more than 350 wildfires burning in all corners of the province, and the BC Wildfire Service warns another blast of heat in many areas could add more burdens on already overstretched crews.

The wildfire service says a week-old, 300-square-kilometre blaze close to Highway 37 just south of the Yukon boundary has been calm, but it and similar fires across northern B.C. could flare up during the next several days of expected hot weather.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to provide 330 new homes for DTES residents

B.C. to provide 330 new homes for DTES residents
Ravi Kahlon, who announced the new initiative at an afternoon news conference alongside Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim, said there are currently about 117 people living on East Hastings Street, 70 of whom have expressed a desire for housing.    

B.C. to provide 330 new homes for DTES residents

Two injured after shooting in Chilliwack, B.C.

Two injured after shooting in Chilliwack, B.C.
The RCMP say that police arrived and found two victims with multiple gun shot wounds. They say officers immediately provided first aid until Emergency Health Services arrived and transported the victims to hospital.

Two injured after shooting in Chilliwack, B.C.

Calgary house explosion leaves at least 10 injured

Calgary house explosion leaves at least 10 injured
Adam Loria, a spokesman for Calgary Emergency Medical Services, says all the people sent to hospital are adults. He says six people were in life-threatening condition and four received serious injuries.

Calgary house explosion leaves at least 10 injured

Charges laid in March 12th shooting incident

Charges laid in March 12th shooting incident
37-year-old Craig Truckle of Nanaimo and of no fixed address has been arrested in connection with the March 12th shooting which sent a 39-year-old man to hospital with serious injuries. At approximately 11 pm on Wednesday Truckle was arrested without incident in downtown Nanaimo by front line officers and taken into police custody.

Charges laid in March 12th shooting incident

Funeral for 2 officers shot and killed in Edmonton

Funeral for 2 officers shot and killed in Edmonton
The funeral for Const. Travis Jordan, who was 35, and Const. Brett Ryan, who was 30, is planned to be held in the afternoon at the home arena for the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League. The service is not open to the public but there will be a livestream, which is to be broadcast in an outdoor plaza near the arena.

Funeral for 2 officers shot and killed in Edmonton

Border crossings returning to pre-pandemic hours

Border crossings returning to pre-pandemic hours
The changes will take effect on March 31. The border agency first restricted hours at land border crossings in April 2020, closing many points of entry early and stopping 24-hour service at seven crossings.

Border crossings returning to pre-pandemic hours