Close X
Sunday, September 22, 2024
ADVT 
National

B.C. commits to mandatory Holocaust education for Grade 10 students

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Oct, 2023 10:36 AM
  • B.C. commits to mandatory Holocaust education for Grade 10 students

British Columbia has plans to make Holocaust education mandatory for high school students with additions to Grade 10 curriculum coming in 2025.

It has been a "frightening time" for the Jewish community after deadly terrorists attacks by Hamas militants in Israel earlier this month, Premier David Eby told an audience at the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver on Monday.

There has been a rise in antisemitism in the province, he said, pointing to examples including recent death threats against two Jewish women at a peaceful vigil and the vandalism of a rabbi's home in Surrey, B.C., with a Nazi swastika.

"If we really want to fight hate in this province, if we really want to stand up to antisemitism, it is critical that we learn from the past," Eby said. 

"We know how threats and hate can accelerate into violent acts and into horrific outcomes. We must ensure that the same horrors are not repeated. When we say 'never again' in relation to the Holocaust, we mean it," he said.

The premier said many B.C. teachers make a point of teaching their students about the murders of six million Jews and others by the Nazis during the Second World War as their classes discuss social justice, equality and the horrors of history.

But it hasn't been required curriculum, Eby said before announcing the change.

The Jewish community has been calling for mandatory Holocaust education for "many decades," he noted.

"We are going to work with the community to ensure that the content and the approach reflects the lived experience of this community, including, in particular, Holocaust survivors," he said, adding the voices of survivors are precious.

The B.C. government is "committed to broadening the scope of the required Grade 10 social studies curriculum," a statement from Eby's office said.

That will ensure students learn about the Holocaust while "learning about discriminatory policies and injustices in Canada and around the world," it said.

The changes will take effect in the 2025-26 school year to allow for consultation with the Jewish community and education partners, including the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre.

Nina Krieger, executive director of the centre, said it's "truly heartbreaking" to see the last eyewitnesses to the Holocaust are now witnessing a surge in antisemitism.

The commitment to require Holocaust education for B.C. high school students is a meaningful step forward for survivors and their descendants in the province, she said.

The province's statement said further additions to the Grade 10 social studies curriculum will also be considered "to reflect the diversity and history of B.C. clearly."

"This includes more learning on topics such as the destruction of Hogan's Alley, Japanese internment and discrimination against other culturally diverse groups such as Muslim, East Asian, Black and South Asian communities," it said. 

Conversations with stakeholders will happen over the next year, it added.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program
The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan. The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district
The Surrey School District says in a statement that it cancelled the rental of Tamanawis Secondary School for the Sept. 10 referendum because promotional posters featured a picture of the school alongside what it called "images of a weapon."  

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district
Some residents of one of the regions most devastated by wildfires in British Columbia will be touring the burned-out site today. The Columbia Shuswap Regional District says in a statement that "some areas of the community have changed dramatically" after the Bush Creek East wildfire swept through, destroying or damaging as many as 200 homes.

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region
The partnership with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations is considered a symbolic gesture that reflects Canada's expanded presence in the Indo-Pacific region. Trudeau, in a speech to ASEAN leaders Wednesday, said it shows the progress being made on a free-trade agreement between Canada and the 10-nation bloc.

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open
The Bank of Canada held its key interest rate steady at five percent on Wednesday, deciding against another rate hike as the economy begins to falter. Inflation is expected to continue oscillating around three percent for months to come.   

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open

Break & Enter in Vancouver home

Break & Enter in Vancouver home
Two people have been charged after a home invasion where police say the suspects may have either targeted the wrong home or were looking for someone who wasn’t there. Vancouver police say an 89-year-old grandmother was injured and nine teens left badly shaken, after two people forced their way into a home shortly before midnight on August 24th.

Break & Enter in Vancouver home