Monday, July 6, 2020
ADVT 
National

Bar Owner, Manager Given 9 Years For Gang Sexual Assault In Toronto Bar

The Canadian Press, 12 Feb, 2020

    TORONTO - A former bar owner and his manager were sentenced on Wednesday to a total of nine years each for the hours-long drugging and sexual assault of a barely conscious woman in 2016.

     

    In passing sentence on Gavin MacMillan, 44, and Enzo De Jesus Carrasco, 34, the judge rejected the defence notion that the helpless 24-year-old victim had played any willing role in the vicious attack.

     

    "This was a prolonged, violent and degrading sexual assault," Superior Court Justice Michael Dambrot said. "She was not consenting and the accused could not have imagined that she was."

     

    Dambrot called defence submissions that the unconscious woman somehow awoke during the assault by the two men and took over as "director" of the activity "entirely incredible." The attack, court heard, had been caught on videotape that was deliberately set up to capture such incidents.

     

    The prosecution, which had lambasted the offenders for their "disturbing misogyny," had called for a 12-year sentence for each of the men, who ran the College Street Bar in downtown Toronto. The defence had asked for a maximum of two years for each.

     

    In the end, Dambrot settled on seven years for the gang sexual assault, and a further two years — to be served consecutively — for administering a stupefying drug to their hapless victim.

     

    "The victim's cognitive ability was never fully restored," the justice said.

     

    The woman's mother, who had previously provided a searing victim-impact statement to the court, said justice had been done.

     

    "All we wanted is, for once, victims to be able to come forward and speak up, and not to be put through the hell that they have been," the mother, who cannot be identified, said in a brief interview. "Both her dad and I are so proud of her that she did this."

     

    Her daughter, she said, now just wants to get on with her life.

     

    The judge, who said he would provide full written reasons for his sentencing decision at a later date, called it wholly unreasonable to believe the woman had played any kind of willing part in the attack, which occurred both on the bar's main level and in the basement. The assault, he said, was callous to an incomprehensible degree.

     

    From the outset, Dambrot said, the victim was significantly and visibly impaired, stumbling and crashing into tables. She was either asleep or unconscious throughout, only stirring when the men plied her with cocaine, he said. It was absurd, he said, to believe she was pretending to be unconscious, as the defence argued, and the men knew that.

     

    "She's dead, dead, dead," Carrasco was cited as telling MacMillan at one point, the judge noted.

     

    An 11-person jury had convicted the men of the two charges in November. They could not reach a decision on a further charge of forcible confinement, something the judge said had no bearing on their other guilty findings.

     

    Both men, he said, were equally culpable in a crime that might have been opportunistic at the outset, but quickly became "orchestrated and chillingly deliberate."

     

    CAUTION: Note details that follow may be disturbing to some readers.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Police Raise Safety Concerns: Do You Know Who Your Child Is Talking To Online?

    Some of the popular gaming and messaging apps connect youth with complete strangers. Do you know who your child is talking to online? Keep up with the latest online trends among youth by signing up for Cybertip alerts

    Police Raise Safety Concerns: Do You Know Who Your Child Is Talking To Online?

    BC Liberals: Two Years Of NDP Failures Aren’t Helping People Get Ahead

    After almost three years of the NDP failing to keep their big election promises, people across the province continue to hear empty words and see no action from John Horgan in today’s Speech from the Throne.

     

    BC Liberals: Two Years Of NDP Failures Aren’t Helping People Get Ahead

    Langley Shooting Victim Ravinder Sandhu Is Dead

    On February 7th, at approximately 9:35 p.m., Langley RCMP was called to the a parking lot in the 6300 block of 200th Street for a report of a shooting.

    Langley Shooting Victim Ravinder Sandhu Is Dead

    Mounties Looking For Missing 61-Year-Old Woman Monica Winter And Her Dog

    Police immediately began a search and later confirmed she was last seen on February 7, 2020, leaving from work in the 1200-block of West Broadway Avenue in Vancouver.

     

     

    Mounties Looking For Missing 61-Year-Old Woman Monica Winter And Her Dog

    Man Arrested On 2 Outstanding Warrants Faces 2 New Charges In Richmond

    Man Arrested On 2 Outstanding Warrants Faces 2 New Charges In Richmond

    The male was identified as Coleton SZALAY. SZALAY had a Canada-wide warrant stemming from a robbery out of Vancouver as well as a warrant for theft under $5,000 out of Richmond.  

    Man Arrested On 2 Outstanding Warrants Faces 2 New Charges In Richmond

    Pipeline Protests Hit B.C. Legislature And Canada's Rail Network

    Hundreds of protesters blocked the entrances to the British Columbia legislature on Tuesday as demonstrations in support of Indigenous hereditary chiefs who oppose a pipeline project continued to flare across the country.

    Pipeline Protests Hit B.C. Legislature And Canada's Rail Network