Close X
Sunday, September 29, 2024
ADVT 
International

43-Yr-Old Indian In US Pleads Guilty To Running Call Centre Scam

Darpan News Desk, 14 Apr, 2017 12:19 PM
    A 43-year-old Indian in the US has pleaded guilty to illegally running a multi-million dollar Ahmedabad-based call centre and defrauding individuals.
     
    Bharat Kumar Patel was arrested for his role in the fraud and money-laundering scheme alongside 55 other individuals and five call centres in an indictment returned by a federal grand jury in the Southern District of Texas on October 19.
     
    The sentencing of Patel is scheduled for July 7.
     
    As part of the guilty plea he has agreed to be deported to India after serving his sentence. He was earlier living in Illinois.
     
    According to court documents, Patel and his co-conspirators perpetrated a complex scheme in which individuals from call centres located in Ahmedabad impersonated officials from the IRS or US Citizenship and Immigration Services in a ruse designed to defraud victims located throughout the United States.
     
    Using information obtained from data brokers and other sources, call centre operators targeted victims who were threatened with arrest, imprisonment, fines or deportation if they did not pay alleged monies owed to the government, federal prosecutors said.
     
     
    Victims who agreed to pay the scammers were instructed how to provide payment, including by purchasing stored value cards or wiring money, and upon payment, the call centres would immediately turn to a network of “runners” based in the US to liquidate and launder the fraudulently-obtained funds, the Justice Department said.
     
    According to his plea, beginning July 2013, Patel worked as a member of a crew of runners operating in the Chicago area and elsewhere throughout the country.
     
    He admitted to purchasing reloadable cards or retrieving wire transfers and using the misappropriated personal identifying information of US citizens.
     
    Patel also admitted to opening personal bank accounts in order to receive scam proceeds and payments from defrauded victims as well as creating limited liability companies in his name to further the conspiracy.
     
    According to his plea, Patel opened one bank account that received more than USD 1.5 million in deposits over a one-year period and another bank account that received more than USD 450,000 in deposits over a five-month period.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Quebec City's Outspoken Talk-Radio Hosts Face Backlash After Mosque Shooting

    Quebec City's Outspoken Talk-Radio Hosts Face Backlash After Mosque Shooting
    MONTREAL — In the soul-searching that has followed Sunday's deadly mass shooting at a Quebec City mosque, the city's controversial talk-radio hosts are facing a backlash for allegedly fanning the flames of Islamophobia and intolerance. 

    Quebec City's Outspoken Talk-Radio Hosts Face Backlash After Mosque Shooting

    Trump Impact? China Tests Missile With 10 Nuclear Warheads: Report

    Trump Impact? China Tests Missile With 10 Nuclear Warheads: Report
    China Carried Out Flight Test Of The Df-5c Missile Last Month Using 10 Separate Nuclear Warheads

    Trump Impact? China Tests Missile With 10 Nuclear Warheads: Report

    Three Nova Scotia Fishermen Charged After Video Posted Showing Abuse Of Seal

    Three Nova Scotia Fishermen Charged After Video Posted Showing Abuse Of Seal
    YARMOUTH, N.S. — Three Nova Scotia fishermen face charges for the alleged mistreatment of a seal that was caught on video and posted to social media, says the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

    Three Nova Scotia Fishermen Charged After Video Posted Showing Abuse Of Seal

    Manitoba Man Who Had Heart Attack Stuck With Big Bill For Treatment In U.S.

    Manitoba Man Who Had Heart Attack Stuck With Big Bill For Treatment In U.S.
    WINNIPEG — A Manitoba man who received emergency medical treatment south of the border is going to be stuck paying the hefty bill on his own.

    Manitoba Man Who Had Heart Attack Stuck With Big Bill For Treatment In U.S.

    Trump Blasts Australia PM Malcolm Turnbull Over Refugee Deal In 'Worst' Phone Call

    Trump Blasts Australia PM Malcolm Turnbull Over Refugee Deal In 'Worst' Phone Call
    US President Donald Trump has sparked a fresh diplomatic row -- this time with Australia -- by branding a refugee deal with the country as "dumb", days after holding a heated conversation with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

    Trump Blasts Australia PM Malcolm Turnbull Over Refugee Deal In 'Worst' Phone Call

    After Trump's Ban Orders, Hijab-Clad Woman Harassed In US, Asked For 'Green Card'

    After Trump's Ban Orders, Hijab-Clad Woman Harassed In US, Asked For 'Green Card'
    Asma Elhuni, 39, noticed the man, news outlets believe to be Rob Koehler, walk into Joe's Coffee Shop and start taking pictures of her as she worked on her laptop.

    After Trump's Ban Orders, Hijab-Clad Woman Harassed In US, Asked For 'Green Card'