The Punjab Police on Wednesday evening charged former state DGP Sumedh Singh Saini and six other police officials at Mohali in a 29-year-old case of alleged kidnapping, torture, and “stage-managed elimination” of Balwant Singh Multani, son of IAS officer Darshan Singh Multani.
In the FIR filed, Palwinder Singh Multani, brother of the alleged victim, has named six other police officials, including DSP Baldev Singh Saini, Inspector Satvir Singh, SI Har Sahai Sharma, SI Jagir Singh, SI Anoop Singh and ASI Kuldip Singh.
Balwant Singh Multani was accused of carrying out an attack on Saini on December 21, 1991, when Saini was SSP in Chandigarh.
Multani, along with Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar, convict in a Delhi bomb blast case, and two others were arrested in the case. Later, the police claimed Multani escaped from the custody of Qadian (Gurdaspur) police.
None of the officials charged on Wednesday have been arrested so far. Punjab DGP Dinkar Gupta and Mohali SSP Kuldeep Chahal were not available for comment.
Saini also could not be contacted for comment, though he was quoted by a news organization as saying that the case was a conspiracy against him by the current political regime in Punjab.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had ordered a CBI inquiry into the case after the Multani family investigated the matter. However, the Supreme Court rejected the High Court order.
On Thursday morning, Sumedh Singh Saini and two others were denied entry into Himachal Pradesh through the Swarghat area in Bilaspur district on Thursday at 4 am.
Bilaspur SP Divakar Sharma said that the former Punjab DGP had called him after the policemen posted at Swarghat border denied him entry as he did not have a valid pass. The retired officer said he wanted to visit Karsog.