Thursday, August 6, 2020
ADVT 
India

10 soldiers released by China after the worst clash in decades

Darpan News Desk Darpan, 19 Jun, 2020
  • 10 soldiers released by China after the worst clash in decades

10 Indian soldiers have been released after three rounds of talks and intense negotiations through diplomatic and military channels. The Indian soldiers were detained by the Chinese side during the violent brawl of June 15 in Galwan Valley.

The 10 soldiers, including at least two officers, were returned to the Indian side on Thursday evening, three days after the violent face-off along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) that left 20 soldiers, including a colonel, dead.

According to people, these negotiations were kept tight lipped due to concerns for the safety of the soldiers amid the heightened tensions between the two sides. There was no official word on the development. All that the Indian Army and the external affairs ministry had said on Thursday was that no Indian soldiers were “missing in action”.

The meetings were part of ongoing military engagements to de-escalate the situation and to disengage on the disputed border. The two senior military officers have met seven times since the stand-off began in early May. Moreover, the people said the 10 soldiers, after their release, were sent for a medical examination and were “debriefed” by officials. The last time the Chinese military had captured Indian soldiers was during the border war between the two countries in 1962. Monday night’s seven-hour brutal clash involving more than 500 rival troops also marked the first time India suffered combat fatalities in an incident involving Chinese troops since 1975.

Following reports that an unspecified number of soldiers were unaccounted for after Monday night’s clash, the Indian Army had on Thursday only said that none of its personnel were missing in action. China has so far not acknowledged any casualties among its troops, while some 76 Indian soldiers were also injured. Army officials claimed 43 Chinese were killed or seriously injured, citing radio intercepts and other intelligence.

The Chinese fatal casualties reportedly include a colonel-ranked officer but HT couldn’t independently verify this. India has attributed the clash of June 15 on Chinese forces crossing to the Indian side of the LAC and attempting to build a structure. It has also rejected China’s People’s Liberation Army’s claim of sovereignty over the Galwan Valley. Asked about the specific issue of the status of Indian soldiers after the clash of June 15, external affairs ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava told a weekly media briefing on Thursday: “This has been clarified by the army earlier today afternoon that there are no Indian troops missing in action.”

A top retired army commander, who didn’t want to be identified, said: “China has already achieved what it set out to achieve – control over Galwan Valley. The gesture of returning the soldiers is a message to the world that the Chinese are not the aggressors and they have returned people who intruded into their territory. 

MORE India ARTICLES

Are we at the brink of a war, in the India-China standoff?

Are we at the brink of a war, in the India-China standoff?

The worst clash in decades saw 20 Indian soldiers killed in the India China border conflict. Darpan brings you some of the latest developments in this ongoing story. 

Are we at the brink of a war, in the India-China standoff?

Escalating tensions on the disputed India-China border claims the lives of 20 Indian troops

Escalating tensions on the disputed India-China border claims the lives of 20 Indian troops

According to Indian officials, at least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a clash with Chinese forces in a disputed Himalayan border area. The incident follows rising tensions, and is the first deadly clash in the border area in at least over 4 decades. The Indian army initially said three of its soldiers had been killed, adding that both sides suffered casualties.

Escalating tensions on the disputed India-China border claims the lives of 20 Indian troops

NalandaWay: When Art Becomes A Way Of Life

NalandaWay: When Art Becomes A Way Of Life

The objective is to help kids ‘achieve through arts’ (ATA)

NalandaWay: When Art Becomes A Way Of Life

India, Australia sign historic agreement to help each others military bases

India, Australia sign historic agreement to help each others military bases

India and Australia penned a landmark agreement for reciprocal access to military bases for logistics support besides firming up six more pacts to further broaden ties after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Australian counterpart PM Scott Morrison held an online summit. 

India, Australia sign historic agreement to help each others military bases

Jessica Lal murder case convict Manu Sharma released from prison

Jessica Lal murder case convict Manu Sharma released from prison

Siddharta Vashishtha, also known as Manu Sharma, the convict in the Jessica Lal murder case was released from Tihar Jail on Tuesday. Sandeep Goel, Director-General of Tihar Jail, said: “He was released on the recommendations of the Sentence Reviewing Board meeting. The entire process has been carried out.”

Jessica Lal murder case convict Manu Sharma released from prison

The locust nuisance close to Bihar in east, Karnataka, Andhra and Telangana in south, 16 states warned

The locust nuisance close to Bihar in east, Karnataka, Andhra and Telangana in south, 16 states warned

A swarm of locusts on Wednesday and Thursday devastated crops in Uttar Pradesh’s Sonbhadhra district, which shares borders with Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh. The pest has damaged crops in six states, leading to the Centre issuing a locust warning to 16 states.

The locust nuisance close to Bihar in east, Karnataka, Andhra and Telangana in south, 16 states warned

PrevNext