Steamed fish in banana leaves
• 800 g Barramundi fillets
• 1 tsp ground turmeric
• 2-3 banana leaves
• 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
• ½ bunch mint, roughly chopped
• 2 green chillies, roughly chopped
• 1 piece ginger (5cm), roughly chopped
• 90 g desiccated coconut
• 2 tsp mango chutney
• ½ tsp cumin seeds
• Juice of 1-2 Lime
• 6-8 black peppercorns
• Lime wedges, to serve
• Rub the fish with the turmeric and set aside to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
• Cut the banana leaves into 4-6 squares large enough to enclose a portion of fish. Line a large bamboo or metal steamer basket with baking paper to prevent sticking.
• Put the remaining ingredients, except the lime wedges in a small blender with half a teaspoon of salt and process to a coarse paste. Do not grind too finely or you will lose the texture of the coconut.
• Put a portion of fish into the centre of each banana leaf and apply a thick layer of the paste on top of the fish to completely enclose and put, fold side down, into a steamer basket.
• Cover with a tight-fitting lid and steam over a saucepan or wok simmering water for 10-15 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
• Serve immediately in the leaves with the lime wedges.
Images contributed by Chef Kumar Mahadevan