Event planning companies are paving the way for blissful, stress-free weddings
Why worry about all the little details on your wedding day? Many brides and grooms are now turning to wedding planners to help de-stress their big day.
“Hiring a wedding planner can be a true blessing as it can relieve stress, save time and money for the bridal couple and their families,” says Kristy Wyllie-Sherwood, owner and chief event planner of Chic & Unique Event Design. “The role of the planner entails several different aspects, but mainly we do everything in our power to make sure our clients are 100 per cent happy with everything. To sum up, we bring your dream wedding to reality!”
Wyllie-Sherwood has experience in all types of events, “from large and lavish, to elegant and intimate, our creations will reflect your vision and style.” She goes on to add “South Asian weddings are events of spectacular proportions. As these weddings grow larger, longer and just more ornate, there is a growing need for wedding planners. Rich in detail and filled with unique customs, Indian weddings are an experience like no other.”
Q: Can you tell me about your experience with South Asian weddings?
A: Wedding planning in the South Asian community is not the same as planning for mainstream clients. You must understand the demands in this industry are far higher since you work not just with the bride and groom, but with their entire families. The planner who is working with a desi family must be skilled at putting both the parents and their children at ease. A majority of the South Asian weddings we have planned and coordinated have been fusion weddings, which are so fun and exciting because you are marrying two different cultures together in every aspect from attire to décor, entertainment to food. The richness of these events is unbelievable and is something we feel so fortunate to be a part of.
1 – How to stay on budget?
Creating a budget should be one of the first things you do. Once that’s set, don’t accept pressure to go beyond it, and find vendors who are willing to work with you. For our clients, I always give them a budget planner and layout all the costs associated with weddings up front so that they know in advance where they’re headed financially.
2 – What mistakes to avoid during wedding planning and events?
At the end of the day, mistakes will be made, there is no getting around it. But here are a few things to keep in mind:
• Forgetting that it’s all about you! It’s your day! The one you have probably been dreaming about for years so remember that it really is all about the two of you.
• Unrealistic Budgeting – Make sure your budget is realistic and matches your taste.
• Timing – If you want the best venue, best caterer, the best band and the best planner, you will want to start as soon as possible.
• Not having a Plan B – No matter what, the show must go on! Come rain, snow or hail, make sure you have alternatives (e.g. outside ceremony locations).
• Not enjoying this journey – Planning a wedding is no easy feat. There are months of preparation, hundreds of decisions and weeks of planning. Find some great resources such as checklists, budget planners and expert trend reports to keep you on track and in the know as you go through your planning process. If you don’t feel like you have the time or energy to plan all the details think about hiring a wedding planner or consultant to help you along the way.
Photo: Chic & Unique Event Design