This delicious dish is best served with sambhar, rasam and papad.
Bunch of string beans, cubed (or black chick peas)
3 tablespoons cooking oil or coconut oil
1/4 teaspoons black mustard seeds
½ teaspoon urad dal (dosa or idli dal)
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ inch piece of ginger
½ onion diced
2-3 green chilies
1 red chili or chili powder
¼ cup grated coconut
4 or 5 curry leaves
½ teaspoon turmeric
salt as needed
1. Steam the chopped string beans until tender. (Or soak and boil black chick peas) Set it aside.
2. In a pan, heat cooking or coconut oil. Add black mustard seeds and urad dal.
3. Once the oil heats up, mustard seeds would crackle and urad dal would turn golden brown. Add the steamed vegetables.
4. Using a mortar and pestle (or a hand mixer) coarsely grind the grated coconut, cumin seeds, green chillies, and ginger separately. Put aside some grated coconut for garnish.
5. Add the ground mixture to the vegetables, along with salt, turmeric, and chopped curry leaves. Stir it well and heat over low flame.
6. Sprinkle with freshly grated or shaved coconut before serving.