♦ Polyunsaturated vegetable oil
♦ Vegetable oil
♦ Bay leaf
♦ ½ cup chopped mint, finely sliced
♦ Cumin seeds
♦ Coriander seeds
♦ Dry red chilli
♦ Ginger paste
♦ Ground turmeric
♦ Chilli powder
♦ Garam masala
♦ Desiccated coconut
♦ Chopped tomatoes
♦ Baby eggplantst
♦ Chopped coriander
♦ Lemon juice
1. Grind cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and dry red chilli.
2. Add 1 tbsp salt to 1/2 litre of tepid water in a large bowl to immerse the deseeded eggplant.
3. Slice top off the eggplant and make a circle on the eggplant using the tip of a sharp knife. Scoop out the 1 tbsp eggplant and place the eggplants
into the bowl of saltwater prepared earlier.
For The Filling
4. Add 1/2 cup vegetable oil to a hot frying pan and then two bay leaves. Add 1 tbsp ginger paste.
5. On low heat add the turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilli powder, garam masala and mix. Add 1/2 cup desiccated coconut and salt.
6. Set half of this mixture aside for the filling. The rest will be used to make the sauce.
7. Add chopped coriander to the filling prepared and insert some filling into each eggplant. Press down the filling firmly with a teaspoon.
Cooking the Stuffed Eggplants
8. Add 3 tbsp of polyunsaturated vegetable oil to a hot frying pan. When the oil is hot, place the eggplants in the frying pan.
9. Turn the eggplants frequently to ensure each side is evenly cooked. The eggplant skin will change colour and become crisper after being cooked.
10. Pour hot oil over the eggplants and cover the frying pan. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes (a knife inserted should slide through like butter indicating it is cooked).
Prepare the Sauce
11. Return the frying pan with the remaining mixture added onto a medium heat and add chopped tomatoes. Add any remaining filling and mix until the oil comes away from the sides of the pan.
12. Add 4 tbsp water, or vegetable stock, and mix until the mixture comes to a boil.
13. Place a banana leaf on a plate and pour sauce on the banana leaf.
14. Add remaining sauce on top of the eggplants and drop 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to bring out the aroma of the dish.