8 tbsp vegetable oil
1.5kg beef steak, cut into small cubes
2 large onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, sliced
5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
4 tbsp Madras curry paste 200 ml coconut milk
2 small cinnamon sticks
2 green chillies, halved lengthways
1 tsp salt
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large flameproof casserole.
2. Brown the beef in batches over a medium-high heat, adding a little extra oil as needed, then set the meat aside on a plate.
3. Heat the rest of the oil, add the onions, garlic, and ginger; and fry gently for 20 minutes until very soft and light brown.
4. Use a hand blender and blend until smooth.
5. Add the curry paste, coconut milk, cinnamon sticks, chillies, beef, and salt.
5. Cover and simmer gently for 21/2 hours, uncovering for the last 15 minutes to thicken up the sauce a little.
6. Remove the cinnamon sticks before serving.