There’s a new rose cider in town just in time for summer! Made with real red-fleshed apples, Strongbow Rose Apple Cider is a crisp, semi-dry, light-coral cider perfect for hosting a picnic on a hot summer day, brunch with your girlfriends or date night.
Strongbow Rosé is good fit as an elegant, yet approachable, gluten-free alternative for when rosé-o’clock hits. From dry to sweet, Strongbow features a range of gluten-free ciders made with different apple variants to suit a variety of palettes. Both refreshing and fruity, the new Rosé Apple Cider falls right in the middle of the cider spectrum as an elegant pink-tinted drink for Canadians to sip on this season. Availabe at BC Liquor Stores
• Red fleshed apples have higher content of antioxidants, acidity, tannins (large group of specific molecules you can find in fruit, which have antioxidant characteristics).
• Antioxidants are generally found in the peel of apple, but with red fleshed, it’s found in the flesh.
• Harvest red fleshed apples before maturity as colour begins to decline once it hits maturity.
• Rose - doesn’t only have red fleshed apples. Red fleshed apples are not cider apples, but they are unique, so they are using them in cider. Almost it’s own category.
• Classification of apples:
o Culinary vs cider apples
o Culinary: Dessert/table apples, cooking apples. Dominating world market.
Old Standard/Wild Trees (cooking apples)
Bush trees (dessert/table apples)
o Cider: not available on open market, they are grown on contract. Tannins give a lot of body similar to product, some people say bitterness, similar to wine industry
Bittersweet - sweet, low acid, high tannins
Bittersharp - high acid, high tannins
Sharp - high acid, low tannins
Sweet - low acid, low tannins
• Apple benefits:
o Polyphenols (tannins) are antioxidants which are recognized as disease-fighting compounds - can come through in the cider