A spicy and tasty appetizer
Lotus stems are used widely in Kashmiri cuisine and Sindhi dishes. Try this dish with an Oriental touch. It is a spicy and tasty appetizer.
[ Serves: 2 ]
• 250 gms lotus stem
• Oil for deep frying
• 4 inch ginger
• 10-12 crushed garlic flakes
• 3-4 fresh red chillies
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 3-4 fresh spring onion sprigs
• 1 tbsp sriracha-chilli sauce
• 2 tbsps corn starch and salt
• Wash the lotus stem thoroughly in running tap water to remove all the dirt. Cut it into thin slices.
• In a bowl, add cornfour and salt, add the lotus stem and coat it evenly
• In a deep fryer or kadhai, golden-fry the lotus stem slices until crisp.
• In another wok, add oil, and once hot, sauté ginger and garlic. Add fresh red chillies and sauté further. Add 1/4th cup of water and the sriracha-chilli sauce. Adjust seasonings and keep stirring it till it turns thick. Then add the crispy lotus stem and mix well.
• To serve: In a plate dish, place the crispy lotus stem and garnish with chopped spring onion.
Photos: Courtesy of Nilesh Limaye, Ujjwala Creations