South Asian Family Association (SAFA) is hosting a free event in August.
WHAT: The South Asian Family Associated is delighted to be holding their annual - India Live Block Party - a celebration of art, culture and history in downtown Vancouver.
The festival is open to all ages and backgrounds and attendance is FREE of charge!
India Live is always a fun and eventful afternoon for the whole family and this year we will be showcasing cultures from all around the world. Stop by and try some delicious food from around the Indian subcontinent and stay for the Bhangra dance party to end the evening!" says Jasroop Grewal, SAFA President.
WHEN: INDIA LIVE is taking place on Saturday, August 10th (main stage at London Drugs - 710 Granville Street Vancouver, BC V6Z 1E4)
WHERE: on Granville Street in downtown Vancouver. It starts at 12pm and wraps up at 8pm. This event is FREE for the public and utilizes music, song, dance and visual arts to highlight Vancouver's intercultural community. There is also a vibrant vendor marketplace that features cultural wares, clothing, gifts and delicious snacks. Family fun for everyone!
WHO: PERFORMANCES BY:
Fateh is our headliner this year. Fateh Singh better known by his stage name Fateh Doe or mononym Fateh is a Toronto-based Canadian rapper and songwriter of Indian descent. His music career began in 2012 when he was discovered by Dr Zeus.
Other are various local performances include:
- classical dance,
-Bollywood dancing, instrumental music such as the sitar (Indian guitar) are the kind of activities generally presented and planned for this year too.
1. Turban tying by the Sikh Riders of Canada,
2. Gathka by Nanak Sikh academy,
3. Cricket for children by the cricket club,
4. Roti making competition,
5. Sari tying all by safa members,
6. Yoga workshop,
7. Bhangra dance
8. Dhol (indian drum) workshops will be taking place several times during the day.
9. We will also be presenting 3 scholarships to grade 12 graduating students- excellence in academia, excellence in community service/fine arts and excellence in athletic. Each scholarship is $1000.
10. Our opening will be conducted by first nation person.
Join DARPAN Magazine community on socialmedia!